Portland landlords must pay relocation costs to evict tenants without cause
Portland City Council unanimously passed a resolution requiring landlords to pay relocation costs to terminate tenancies without cause February 2, 2017.
Highlights from the new law:
- 90 day notice required for no cause termination
- 45 days prior to termination, landlord shall pay to tenant relocation assistance:
- $2900 for a studio apartment
- $3300 for a one bedroom unit
- $4200 for a two bedroom unit
- $4500 for a three bedroom unit
- Within 14 days after receiving notice of a rent increase of more than 10%, tenant may terminate rental agreement and receive relocation assistance
- Ordinance is retroactive to rent increases or terminations up to 89 days before passage of ordinance
- Owners of one single family rental property exempted
Expect the State of Oregon to enact similar, or even harsher laws, and to not exempt landlords who own one single family rental during the current legislative session.